Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Tuesday August 2nd

Well, we certainly had an interestiong weekend!

I bought a paint scraper this past week with the intention of scraping off some of the old wood on our storage barn and repainting it soon. So, Saturday morning I started to scrape and noticed a rotten piece of wood on one od the barn doors (not THAT barn door!!). Well, I removed the pffending piece of wood and found that I could put my hand entirely through the barn door causing a massive hole into the barn.

Well, being the incredibly smart dude that I am, I went to my files and found the company that originally built the barn and proceeded to find out how I could purchase 2 new barn doors and install them.

But No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't make replacement doors so you have to BUILD YOUR OWN doors! Now this might not seem like a big deal to some of you, but I have never built and installed barn doors before. So, I did a little "Reverse Engineering" and figured out what I needed and bought the materials. (My barn looks something like this):

My old barn doors were attached with a "piano hinge" and I decided to modify that to look like the hinges in the picture. I also modified the look on the front because I didn't have a nice radial saw to make cool angles....I was using a curcular saw.

Nate was a big helper and learned a few things in the process....not the least of which was to wear shoes when doing work like this. A board fell on his toes!

The bottom line is that when Nate and I were done hanging the doors they actually closed and look great. I also repainted the barn with a little help from Nate and Chase. I only need to finish painting the front doors and the trim and the barn will be done! Yee-ha. So, my entire weekend was pretty devoted to those darn barn doors!!

Ellen and Alex were supposed to get back from Mexico around 7:30pm Saturday night. I kept getting updates from people and the last I heard was that their plane was not to land in Indy until aroun 2am Sunday morning. By the time they arrived at our house it was 3:30am!! They had a great time and did some very good work. We boys were thrilled to have them home though.

This week Alex is in Marching Band from 8-6. Nate is at soccer camp from 9-noon. And Chase is hanging out with some neighbors. Work continues to go well. Soon school will be starting up and things will get hectic.

Be sure to check out Alex's Heartwalk website...she is over $3000 already. Her goal is $15,000. You can check it out at Alex's Heartwalk Website.

That's all for now....hope you enjoy reading this.

No comments: